Health & Safety
Trinity Mirror Printing accepts that it has a significant responsibility for health and safety at work. In addition to complying with relevant legislation, setting out minimum standards, the company will, so far as is reasonably practicable, implement a policy of continual improvement based on the OHSAS 18001 [Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series] specification. This will involve implementing a health and safety management system with the following key elements:
In practice this means that the company will, as far as is reasonably practicable:
- Plan and organise work activities to minimise risk of injury or harm
- Provide and maintain safe premises, plant and work equipment
- Carry out suitable and sufficient health and safety risk assessments to identify hazards, so that they can be eliminated or adequately controlled
- Establish safe systems of working, where appropriate in written procedures
- Ensure that staff receive adequate information, instruction and training, so that they are competent to safely perform their duties
- Provide adequate supervision, taking into account the knowledge and experience of individuals, as well as the risks associated with the work
- Inform and consult staff, or their elected representatives, about significant health and safety developments
- Ensure that members of the public and others are not exposed to unnecessary risks to their health and safety
- Periodically monitor and review the arrangements for health and safety, through inspections, surveys, reviews, audits and where appropriate Health and Safety Committees, so that they remain satisfactory
- Implement an annual health and safety plan to help maintain standards and minimise risk of accidents and occupational ill health.
Further information, relating to particular aspects of health and safety, can be found in the organisation and arrangements that underpin this policy statement and in supporting policies and procedures that are issued to staff, as required.
While health and safety at work is an overall responsibility of the company and its management team, staff at all levels are reminded that they also have a legal duty to take care of their own safety and that of others who could be affected by their acts and omissions. The active cooperation and assistance of all members of staff is sought on health and safety matters.
All Trinity Mirror Printing sites have the OHSAS 18001 accreditation
The Occupational Health and Safety [OH&S] management system specification OHSAS 18001 is recognised globally as the international management system standard that enables an organisation to control its OH&S risks and improve its performance. It has been developed to be compatible with ISO 14001. This allows organisations to integrate environmental and occupational health and safety management systems throughout its operations. In order to maintain accreditation, organisations must be audited annually by a UKAS-accredited certification body.